Monday, September 6, 2010

August 5, 2010: Mary Beth Thomas aka Head Brew Mother at the Speckled Trout Brewery



My Aunt Mary Beth makes the most delicious beer and cider at her home in the Adirondacks (New York State), where she lives with my fabulous Aunt Elizabeth who is an amazing cook, photographer, and painter. They are fabulous, very in love and so easy to be around.

I visited them with my friends Lizzy Brockest, and Beth Sweeney to celebrate my 29th birthday. My Aunt Miriam came down from Pennsylvania. We ate amazing food, swam in a river, hiked up a small mountain, discussed queer and lesbian identities, played ping pong, danced, and had fires in their backyard.

I did this interview with my friend Beth Sweeney helping with the questions. While listening to this interview, imagine you
are walking around Mary Beth's Shop with us. She's running around showing all the things she uses to make beer. Theres all these steps and ingredients I would never have been able to predict - I know nothing about how to make beer - there's a lot of steps. Theres a lot of choices to make along the way. Theres nothing like standing under a sky full of stars. Standing with your queer family - chosen and by blood, drinking homemade beer you know your Aunt has worked so hard at - thats a lot to feel lucky about.

No comments:

Post a Comment